bonus workshop! discovering your magick (pt 2)
since we couldn’t post a workshop in june, enjoy this two-parter!
hopefully you learned a few things from part 1. if you missed it, read up before diving in here.
for this bonus segment, let’s delve into one more facet of magick-making: the use of your senses.
there is power in embodiment. our soul/spirit is the essential, unchanging part of ourselves, but our bodies keep us functioning on this plane.
several spiritual paths talk about resisting the flesh, overcoming the body and such—and if that floats your boat, great!
but as a woman, and one continuing to align with the Divine Feminine, i’m all about loving, adorning, and uplifting the miraculously breathing, weighted, fragrant, bleeding mounds of flesh our souls inhabit.
magick—especially in the form of ritual—seeks to arouse the senses. in order to clearly perceive the unseen world, it helps to be fully in touch with the world of matter. often, spiritual communications manifest physically before transcending into more sublime forms.
which senses do you rely on most?
which ones are you uncomfortable with?
do you outright ignore any of them?
as you learn more about how you use your senses, you’re likely to notice alignment with your energetic challenges, elemental proportions, and more.
- explore aromatherapy.
- the next time you take a walk, notice what you smell, and how different aromas impact your mood.
- research the aromatic components of your favorite perfume(s). what do you discover?
- scent is closely tied to memory. what scents evoke good thoughts / feelings? how can you incorporate these smells into your magick-making?
- does a particular fabric dominate your wardrobe?
- if money were no object, what fabric(s) would you wear more of?
- how do you touch nature? wood or metal working? petting furry animals? the rustling of leaves beneath your feet? squishing grass between your toes? seawater and sand?
- do you work or live in an environment where you are frequently touched / hugged? how does this affect you?
- do you learn best when you can physically manipulate or touch your subject?
- examine your favorite foods. what makes them delicious?
- what textures do you love in food/drink? which repel you?
- which tastes do you prefer (sweet, salty, bitter, sour, umami, astringent, pungent, etc.)?
- which herbs and spices do you use most often? research the folklore and metaphysical properties associated with them. do they align with your spiritual goals?
- what do you find visually appealing (patterns, scenery, art, etc.)? what sights fill you with awe, joy, reverence?
- what natural sights uplift you—mountains, prairie, desert?
- what are your favorite colors? learn how they align with the chakras. where do these colors show up in nature?
- what sounds do you find most melodic?
- think about the music you use for different moods (inspiration, motivation, exercise, love-making….). what patterns emerge?
- if you have a gift for sound, consider researching harmonic healing modalities.
clearly, we could spend weeks—a lifetime, even—discussing the nuances of this process. these are just a few bare bones…something to get your wheels turning.
may your discoveries lead to innumerable blessings!
.:.~.:. omi .:.~.:.